03 August 2008

Love is what makes you smile when you are tired

Back to this familiar place, I could hear the banging and shouting from the second floor, from the ground level. It was thunder loud as if the door was going to give way any time. I am not surprise if there were blood all over the places. As I was making my way to my therapy room, I was hopping that he is not the one in the Time-Out room.
Thank God! Is not him, this time round, is a new comer. He has been in Time-Out room since Saturday. Gosh, is like coming to 1 week.

It was nap time when I arrived at home, so he was still sleeping. I could only see him after nap and after tea time. I joined him for tea time, today is a shopping day. I’m glad he got some allowance this week, which means that he behaved. While in the lift, he threw tantrum and hit his sister (which I’m not sure if he know that was his sister – not sure if that was selective memory).

One tight slap on his sister’s face right in front of me, stunned for a moment. Lucky one of the nurse was with me in the life. Then she shouted at him, and the whole saga start. He sat down in the lift, hitting his head again the metal bar, banging his fits on the sides, lying on the floor and tons of vulgarity. We ended up shouting at one another. And since time-out room was not an option, I had no choice but to isolate him in Physiotherapy room. Both of us were inside and he started to throw the trampoline, the mats and chairs. There was no way I could get some sense to him. He continued to protest by taking off all his clothes. At my wits, I called for help. Thank God, a nurse was just walking by.. she came in and commanded him to behave, and then she used the golden word “TIE”.

Ok. As much I do not want to see him in such a state… I had no choice. There must be some ways that we communicate and he has to learn!
Finally, got him to put on his clothes and he sat down. Well, in the little reward system that I pull off. Food à since he can’t live without.
The little pack of biscuit that did wonders for me. I did my best to explain to him. Honestly speaking, I want to help him but he needs to do his part.. I guess he felt my sincerity and I knew that was our connecting point. 1 hour of tough session.. but it just so fulfilling that at least we start off somewhere.

The most rewarding part was that when I was about to leave my office, he stood outside waiting. I thought what’s next.. to my surprise, he held my hand and walked me down to the ground floor. As we are walking down, I reinforce to him my intentions, he seems to understand. I concluded that working with them is all about sincerity, they can feel us and they know if we are really there for them. The unconditional care and love for them could be the most therapeutic factor. At the end of the day, the smile that they carry with them is the most rewarding gift. Just like the saying: Love is what makes you smile when you are tired. I just hope that next week will be a better week for us.

No comments: