11 June 2008

Born Free

I am now located in Jakarta and today is my “holiday” after working non-stop and 7 Hr of sleep for 3 days! I’m still in good shape and I was reading Van!lla – June 2008, issue 11 - my colleague, Katherine’s favorite magazine.
There is this article that spurred me to write here, Born Free. The article was featuring this parent that was heaving “headache” during school holiday because she has got no idea where to “park” her 2 children. I guess that the thing about parents, when the kids are having holidays, their lifestyle just get upside down.

At my work place, I see tons of parents doing the same thing, finding different programmes to pack their child schedule from morning till night. For a moment, I was so happy that my parents are not like them. Perhaps the children life are more meaningful but come to think about it, are the children happy? Were are those days whereby boys catch spiders and girls play “five-stones”?

I remembered that one of the “silly” things that my brother and I used to do is to “fly kite” from our grandma house, located 10 stories high. We took NTUC plastic bag and sewing strings to tie the handle of the bag and threw the bag out of the window, letting the wind to carry it. It was so simple and yet just so fun. Till today, I still can remember it clearly in my mind how happy was I back then. I wonder will any children do this in this new age. To me, the only game that they have is this thing call electronic games, PSP, Play-station, wii etc.

So what is “childhood” means now?
Childhood = studying hard, top in class + enrichment classes + talent classes + tuitions + a little of PSP?

1 comment:

xin said...

childhood = what childhood?
only have studyhood? or PSPhood?
quite sad... where have all the five stones, lego sets, pepsi cola, who stole the cookie frm the cookie jar gone to? ha...